Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Life you save may be your own

Flannery O'Conner's short story is one of the most pointlessly dispirited tales I have ever read. There is no proper introduction to the characters, there is no opinion implanted in the reader's mind, and there is no sense of reality. In short, this short story is a travesty inscribed on paper that serves no purpose but to relieve the author's angst. Now then, with my own angst relieved, I still believe that the story has very few decent attributes. This is a "short" story, so I can understand the brevity of the descriptions, yet even so the literature is almost unbelievably abrupt. It almost seems like this was a story dashed of at the last minute to meet a publisher's deadline that had been forgotten.
I suspect that there is a moral to this yarn, but for the life of me I can not determine what it could be. The only life lesson that might possibly be learned is that men with one arm should not be trusted with daughters. I would say that the moral is that the younger generation is ungrateful, except that there are too few characters for me to generalize. Frankly, I have to struggle to percieve even the point that I said. The story is simply not long enough to permit any detailed evaluation of its contents. I only hope the other stories present a more detailed facade for interpretation.

2 comments:

Special-K said...

When I was reading this short story, I also wondered where the introductions for the characters where. I believe that this story has a middle and some what of an ending. The story to me seemed to completely skip the whole beginning piece (which would be the introductions, etc), and it just went straight into the middle part of the story. I am someone who always likes to know what is going on in a story and when I do not, I tend to dislike the story. Now, this short story left a lot of loose ends, which I also do not like. One last thing, I do not know why anyone would trust there daughter with a strange man, who they do not know, and only has one arm.

Lizbeth said...

First of all, how does a man with one arm repair a roof and fix up the house. I agree this story made no sense. You're right there weren't any introductions. Even if it is a short story, the author could have put something in there to introduce them. I didn't like this story because who leaves their bride at a rest stop. I didn't understand why Mr. Shiftlet picked up the boy on the side of the road. Did he feel bad? I agree this story was pointless. I think maybe the point was not to abandon the people that trust you.